ON LINE MASTERS DEGREE IN TESOL
Teachers College Mexico City offers the Master’s Degree in TESOL, a four-semester
academic program with a broad range of courses. The program aims to equip the students
with the linguistic knowledge, cultural understanding and pedagogical training essential to the
various aspects of TESOL, including, along with other areas such as applied linguistics,
curriculum design, materials development, methodologies, classroom procedures, and
assessment. The program also offers students practicum opportunities to gain first-hand
practical experience in the field.
The College offers the Masters in TESOL degree to prepare competent and conscientious
professionals in the field of teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL). The
degree program consists of 1200 hours in Mexico (thirty-six credits in the US) in four
semesters and is designed to provide students with a solid theoretical foundation and the
necessary professional skills in TESOL at different levels of education (early childhood,
elementary, secondary, high school, and adult literacy).
The program also emphasizes reflective analysis as well as professional competence. Building
on a foundation that places today’s educational challenges in historical and social context, the
degree provides opportunities for specialization in a growing number of fields including ELT
editors, consultants and program directors.
Through its educational programs, Teachers College intends to encourage the development of
leadership in professional educators, to help practitioners understand and act upon an
integration of theory and practice and to deepen and enhance professional capacity through
research, repertoire, and reflection.
To provide flexibility for those with concurrent school responsibilities, courses are offered
through extension study (distance learning/sistema abierto). Students may take courses at
their own pace but must complete the program within two years; however, students do have
the opportunity of enrolling for additional semesters if they were unable to complete the
program in four semesters.
Students take final examinations in Grammar and Phonology concentrations. All other
concentrations are based on summaries, workshop videos & tape scripts, and other formats.
- APPLICATION FORM MUST BE SENT TWO WEEKS BEFORE ENROLLMENT.
- Enrollment is open year round.
- A 30usd fee is required for verification of information provided on the
application form. (non-refundable)
- All candidates must have a BA or a BS degree in any discipline and an
advanced level of English. A transcript from the university must be sent directly
from the office of the registrar to the College.
- Candidates must have advanced level of English
- Sample essay to evaluate writing skills must be submitted.
- Two letters of recommendation that evaluate the applicant’s capacity for
graduate work and/or the teaching profession
- Professional statement outlining the applicant’s professional goals and
- Statement of educational philosophy
- MT501 GENERAL TEACHING METHODS
- MT502 EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY
- MT503 SECOND LANGUAGE ACQUISITION
- MT504 TEACHING ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE
- MT505 ESL APPROACHES AND TECHNIQUES
- MT506 LINGUISTICS
- MT507 PHONETICS
- MT508 PRACTICUM (PHONETICS)
A SAMPLE CURRICULUM WITH CONCENTRATION IN GRAMMAR
MT509 TECHNIQUES AND APPROACHES TO TEACHING ENGLISH GRAMMAR
MT510 PRACTICUM (DEDUCTIVE AND INDUCTIVE APPROACHES)
MT511 GRAMMAR ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION
MT512 DEVELOPING GRAMMAR SKILLS IN THE WRITING PROCESS
- CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION
- ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION
|An HONOR STUDENT, graduate
from the Masters Degree in TESOL
with a concentration in Applied
Linguistics! Congratulations, Patty!
ON LINE MASTER DEGREE